What is SPSS?
• It is an interactive user-friendly Statistical Package for Social
• It comprises two parts
– Data editor-creating and modifying data sets
– Statistical procedures-analyzing the given data sets
Four steps in data analysis using SPSS
• Get your data into the Data Editor. You can open a previously
saved data file; read a spreadsheet, text file, or database; or
enter your data directly in the Data Editor.
• Select a procedure from the menus to create tables, calculate
statistics, or create charts.
• Select the variables you want to use in the analysis. The
variables in the data file are displayed in a dialog box for the
• Run the procedure and study the results.